header ads

BEDC staff electrocuted while on disconnection drive




A staff of the Benin Electricity Distribution Company (BEDC), identified simply as Theophilous, was last Friday electrocuted while on mass disconnection drive at Low Cost Housing Estate, Ughelli, Delta State.

The deceased, a native of Iyede in Isoko North was said to have accompanied his other colleagues on the disconnection drive before he met his untimely death, a source disclosed.

According to the source, the technician said to be working at the Ughelli branch office and the team were at a particular compound in the area, the occupant of the flat pleaded with them for more time before he would be able to pay part of his electricity bill.

“Turning a deaf ear to his plea, the leader of the crew ordered Theophilus to disconnect the customer, during that process, light was restored leading to his death.

“Immediately the leader of the team put a call across to the admin who came with another ladder to bring the lifeless body down”.

Contacted, the BEDC Public Relations Officer,  Helen Ogagarue who confirmed  the incident described it as unfortunate just as she denied the deceased as the company’s staff.

She said: “He wasn’t a staff of BEDC but was working with a BEDC staff but there are efforts to go and see his family”.

However, another source faulted the position of the BEDC Public Relations Officer for denying the deceased as a staff saying,  “For years, Theophilus had been working with the company right from the time of NEPA to PHCN even till now before this his untimely death.

“The company should be ashamed of itself for trying to dodge its responsibilities.

No comments

Dont forget to drop a comment, it keeps us going!

Theme images by Jason Morrow. Powered by Blogger.